Monday, February 05, 2007

Absolute Standards

I have to keep reminding myself that my personal standards should be absolute, not relative. We are so easily influenced by our surroundings and give in to the norms of the world.



There's a funny story I heard when I was a kid. The story explores the reason why garbage piles exist in the world. It started out as a misdropped bag of garbage by the wall. Then another person added a bag to it. (might as well, right?) Eventually, people feel less hesistant to lob bags after bags of garbage on top of the pile. Their standards are relative, and subjected to the standards of the others. When the others are compromised, so will theirs be.



I think that story truthfully described how many ideologies and organizations fall short of their original vision. We are to have absolute standards so we will be shaken by the drifting trend of this world. Yet that's not the whole picture. Grave determination on wrongful standards will yield graver consequences, Hitler for example.



Our standards have to stand firmly in accordance to something of absolute rightous standard. There are quite a few absolute standards in this world uphold by men and each of them will lead to a future. There are however traces to be found within the scriptures of each. The choice is really our own.

No comments: