Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Goodbye Barb

The day had finally come. My heart was heavy with grief. Still, everybody forced up a smile for her last day. Our VP Cindy offered cakes and drinks to those visiting the call center to send her off. "It's too soon," I said to myself. Only if she could've finished what she had started and see her vision come true. I'm sure she would like that.





She called me by name before I knew who she was.


Barb is picture perfect: beautiful, articulate and confident. Her personality and charisma shines brighter than her petite figure. She had always been supportive of me. I, in return, trusted her with my personal egos. She was fully aware of me wanting to go back to school and did everything she could to secure my job. She was good to me.


We competed with and against each other from racing to the elevator to the grueling Grouse Grind Challenge. I know she lives a disciplined life similar to that of mine. She brought out the best in me to a realm I didn't realize I was capable of.


I will remember her as the manager with the image of success. I shook her hand for the first time as I said my goodbyes. Beth joked, "No Hug?" I smiled. We are two ironclads suited up to face the daily challenge that is life. The only thing that linked us is the unspoken respect. I may never get to know her without the armor, but I am happy to have walked this part of the journey with her.


Farewell, Barbara Mount.

No comments: