We are imperfect people in an imperfect world. This is precisely the reason why Communism did not work and will never work. There will always be those who abuse the system, taking advantage of the people who pick up the slacks. It is no different
I don't answer to my team leader, my supervisor, or my manager. I answer to God and therefore I am responsible to my manager, my supervisor and my team leader.
Motivated by the urgent call to vote, I attended my first union meeting today to see what the union has to say about the strike that they're proposing. To be honest, I haven't been a fan of unions since my family immigrated to Canada. I am sure the original aim was intended to protect the well-being of the employees. By gathering in numbers the employees can fight against the unreasonable offers from the employer. The last resort is of course, going on strike, when all reasoning fails. In the past I've been through bus driver strikes while I was in school. That summer classmates gathered at my house so we can carpool to a nearby park and hike 30 minutes to school. Then there was the UBC TA strike, they picketed the campus and bus drivers refused to drive past the picket line. It was another 30 minutes walk. Then comes the teacher strike, which was illegal according to the law. I scoff at such selfish behavior.
Do all in favor of me, this is the essence of negotiation. In a negotiation, both side will go the extreme and eventually compromise to an agreement. As a Christian, I believe this is wrong. I will ask what I deserve, no less and no more. I remember when I got my first job, I realized there wasn't enough time to finish a day's work, so I proposed to my boss for a raise and that I'll stay after work to finish the work. He thought this was a peculiar request because I was only 1 week into the job. I knew I deserved it. Before my departure a year later, my boss asked if I wanted to reconsider again. My supervisor told me that in that company, everybody comes and goes as pleased and this was the first time the boss had actually asked someone to stay.
During the meeting, it felt like I was in one of the Quixtar rally meeting to a certain degree. People stand up to scoff the employer for their wrong doings. Shaking their heads and fists in the air in unison. How do they get back at the employer? The PBC staffs abuse the benefits to the max, getting treatments they don't need, taking sick days just because they CAN. What does the union say? If you can, why not?
I will not sink to that level. No matter how the employer treats me, I am working for God. I will take what I need, not what I want. If I feel the employer's practice has gone misaligned with God's teaching, I will leave the company and find myself another job.
I had never taken a sick day because I felt it bring more work to my coworker. Out of consideration, I regularly carry more load on my shoulder so they are better off. This has been taken for granted. People in my department call in sick because they don't feel like coming, they go on disability because they don't consider the consequences for their actions. They leave without notice. I don't see why they should be awarded the job and get paid when they cannot work.

No comments:
Post a Comment