Tuesday, October 02, 2007

First Lab Day

I have come to my school lab at Suzukakedai to stay for the whole day for the first time. This is very typical for graduate school students apparently. They are not required to take a lot of classes, so their main focus is really on their research. The classes will provide the knowledge they might require for their endeavor if not marginally.



I've also attended my first class today, although there was only 1 student (i.e. me) The professor enthusiastically still shared with me what he is currently researching. About 40 minutes later another student came in. He's a 2nd year graduate student from Finland. It's comedic that there are only 2 students in one class, but I still hope to get the most out of the classes since I am here to learn.



Staying at the lab for the whole day without anything concrete to do is really a waste of time. Yet according to the Japanese culture, despite being at work, school, or lab, people seem to stay there for as long as possible just to give the impression of hardworking. For me, I wanna get out of here as soon as possible today. Mari will also come in tomorrow. I look forward to that.



Now, it should be 1:00AM in Vancouver, I've adjusted to the Yokohama schedule, but I still can feel the sudden drain of my energy towrads Vancouver midnight time.

No comments: