Friday, November 14, 2008

Final Ultimatum

After much consideration, I am willing to put my future on the line to stand up to this injustice. So I edited the 9000 words version. There is a chance that I might say good bye to Japan forever...

Dear Professors,

Thank you for reading this email. While there is a temporary solution and a pending decision on the current problem in Waki lab, I am writing to clarify the situation and to inform you that it will not be in the best interests of Tokyo Institute of Technology to forgo the termination of Kenji Matsubara.

Over the year I have recorded and written down what I had seen and heard as a foreign student in Japan. These records of my unbelievable journey may soon be public for all to see, but I hope you will have a chance to examine them first. I believe my journey may possibly end here, but that is entirely for the school administration to decide. I also understand that by disclosing my story and my interpretations, the school staffs involved including Waki-sensei will look at me differently from now on. This is a consequence I am willing to accept.

As members of Waki lab, we have endured one year of emotional and mental torment. I earnestly ask that you finish reading the entries so you can get a glimpse of what we have gone and still going through weekly, if not daily. At different stages of our lives we had tried to accommodate Kenji Matsubara and hoped to change him for the better. As time passed by our hope grew into frustration, and frustration became anger. At difference paces, now we have all arrived at the point of no recourse. The school administration however is still at the initial stage of the process, hesitating to make a decision, while we are tormented by him everyday. All Waki lab members would like to focus on our own research more than anything, but we cannot do so until Matsubara is terminated.

I want you to understand what is at stake here. I want you to understand that although it may be difficult to terminate Matsubara, it will be more difficult dealing with what will happen to us if he is not terminated, and more so, what will happen to the reputation of Tokyo Tech that we held with such high regard.


Sincerely,


Chi-Hua Kenneth Yu

No comments: