Saturday, January 20, 2007

News From Tokyo Tech


After going through a few months of correspondance with the Tokyo Tech evaluation committee and the advisor Professor Waki. It'd seem like we have almost reached an conclusion. On January 18th, 2007, two weeks after my last communication with Professor Waki on the internet interview I sent her another email. A while later I received the response I was not ready for:

Dear Kenneth

Although, we can not succeed in getting the Monnbusyo scholarshipbecause it is very competitive, I am glad to tell you that you have beenacceped by the evaluation committee. Your entrance and getting someother financial support are hopeful. However, it is better to reserveyour own financial ability for studying in Japan.
Anyway, I will send you e-mail if I get more information.

Best regards

Waki

Here is how I interpret the response:

I have been declined of the government scholarship. With my B average in university it was a reach in the first place. Emotionlessly, it felt like I had been snatched from my daydream of unrealistic excitement and dunked deep into the ground. It felt solid. I was a bit disappointed to be honest, but at the same time the email me made me realize my dream is within reach. Life can't be all as I desired. From this moment on I have to fight my way through. First I will have to cut down on the spending and save up an consierable amount of money since I will be paying my plane tickets, tuition and entrance fee. In additional to those will be the living expense of the first few months.

School will start in September, I have 7 months to save up. Upon a simple calculation it breaks down to:

1 Round-Trip Plane Tickets: $1,200 CAD

Tokyo Tech Entrance Fee: $300

CADTokyo Tech Admission Fee: $2,820 CAD

Tokyo Tech Tuition Fee 1 year: $5,358 CAD

First 3 months of expense: $1,300 x 3 = $3,900 CAD

Total: $13578 CAD

I need to come up with close to $14,000 CAD dollars by the end of September. It's funny that I just finished paying my Canadian student loan 3 days ago, I remember the amount being close to 13,000CAD. I earn about $2,100 net every month, after tithing $210, minus gas $150, insurance $120 I get about = $1,420 dollars. In 7 months I'll only have close to $1,0000.......
Not even close..

I don't plan to allocate any fundings from my parents as they have their own mortgage to deal with. Accoridng to the professor from Tokyo Tech, there will be more scholarship options available to me in the future when I'm in Japan. It will be my last hope.

To Be Continued..............

No comments: