Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Snow 1, Vancouver 0



Vancouver has been defeated by snow.



During the first snowfall, smart that I was, I took the public transportation to work. Given that 20% of the department didn't make it on that day, I'd say the translink commuters were pretty delighted to arrive at work in one piece. It wasn't until late at day when the PBC commuters arrived at the skytrain station that we heard the PA: "Uh.. sorry about the delay. There's a train stuck inbetween main street and broadway station. We've tried pushing it with another one, but that one got stuck too. We'll try to push it with another one, but there's no gaurantee that it'll work. So we don't have an ETA."



While my coworkers from Surrey discussed about splitting a cab, I took my start and ran home. Snow turned into freezing rain just around that time. After a few minutes of walking I realize my hike would take too long and my hair was starting to get wet as the freezing rain melted on contact. I ran full speed for almost 20mins and "inevitably" tripped on my weak right ankle. I hopped on for another 5 minutes more only to realize my ankle can't stand too much of this beating. Although handicapped, I was still kept my pace with a limp. As I reached the intersection 2 blocks northwest of my house I began to see stars at the bottom of my eyes. I was in disbelief! I rubbed my eyes a couple of times and found that my face was completely frozen numb and dripping water. I started to limp with a faster pace. It felt like a survivor hike from then on. My pace finally slowed down when I was close to my house, relieved that I probably won't blackout.



And then I saw....my dog was playing in the snow... I could not tell if my expression was numb from the temperature or from the irony bestowed upon me.

No comments: