Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dislocation

This has got to be the funniest moment of my day.



I woke up feeling a bit grumpy because of the daylight saving time that robbed me 1 hour of sleep. In fact, I have been restless all night, tossing and turning, dreaming about writing an exam with my coworkers. The morning classical music didn't help too much because it was a guest host doing CBC Radio2's "Music and Company" instead of my favorite Tom Allen. His tastes in music didn't appeal to me, although he tried to play lots sons of Bach's music.



On the bus, I sat dead center at the back again. When the bus stopped at the Electronic Arts stop, 1/3 of the bus went off. I noticed that there was a newspaper left on the seats purposely and it dropped to the floor as the lady got up and left. It was my stop next, so I got up and move towards the door despite the moving bus. I grabbed the newspaper from the floor. This move attracted a lot of attention, because people are usually just ignorant the 'garbage' on the floor. I didn't want anybody to step on it because I want to keep the newspaper clean so I can give to our extremely bored security guard.



Anticipating the stop, I put my shoulder pack and the newspaper in my left hand and was ready to press the stop button with my right hand. Then the funniest thing happened.



Somehow as I reached up my right arm, my right thumb came loose and became dislocated. I didn't panic because this has happened before many times. I thought I can just snap it right back like always. I held up my hand attempting to send some muscle signals to my thumb. After a few seconds, I realize the thumb is not going anywhere. How the thumb was crooked backward did not look pretty at all. I stared at my right thumb for a few seconds at my stop coming towards the bus from the window. The lady sitting near the pole began to stare at my dislocated thumb. We froze there for another few seconds. It was a funny sight that I had my hands at the vacinity of the button, but unable to press.



Eventually, before the lady started to scream, I gently press my right thumb against my left arm and the it snaps right back. THEN, I pressed the button with the SAME thumb. I hopped off the bus, felt some stares at my back.



Later I realize I can easily bend my right thumb into dislocation! It's really not that disturbing to look at and it doesn't hurt at all. However my left thumb is hurting from a sprain and playing the heavy bass recorder. Pictures ahead, mosaic-ed for the faint of heart. (Reproduced dislocation)





Link for the picture without mosaic, on the bus the thumb was about 15 degree further back. I believe it was because the angle between my palm and the forearm was greater. It's really not disgusting.. it just looks a little "off."

No comments: