Sunday, April 22, 2007

Serving Justice

In a day's time I've contemplated the two extremes of serving justice. The movie I watched today was "Deathnote" It is a Japanese movie adopted from the manga and TV drama series. In the movie the guy who had control of the notebook can kill people at will by writing their names down in the book. He used the Deathnote to bring down punishment for the criminals in the world.



This extreme is susceptible to one's ability to discern right from wrong and one's personal moral standards. I had always wanted to be Superman, flying everywhere kicking asses, and safeguarding the world. Yet instead of the serving justice, the emphasis seems to be on kicking ass, and the satisfaction therein. We live in a world of fast-food-ism; We all strive to see bad people punished right here right now. Patience is no longer a virtue. Fortunately, without the glamor and glory, there's still a quiet and insistent force in the world, battling evil with a keen determination.


I witnessed the other extreme from a video I've watched a long time ago. The state trooper pulled over a driver for speeding. No matter what the driver blurted out at him, the trooper stood there quietly and patiently. The trooper had all the reasons he needed to take down the driver and give him an ass-whooping, but he opted to remain polite and courteous. The trooper had the power to punish, but instead, he left the judging for the authority higher up. I tip my hat to you, Mr. State Trooper. This is a kind of justice that echoes in my heart.


http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=8565771211253240212

No comments: