
The pain in my thighs reminds me once again why I don't run very often. Yesterday was the great Vancouver Sun Run 2007. More than 54,000 people took up the challenge and ran 10 kilometer in the beautiful and (rarely) sunny Vancouver.
I've always considered myself a good athlete. I play basketball once in a while, active in at least one sport at all time and most of all, I manage to retain my figure throughout the years. I am almost never sick to top it off. Running with the big dogs opened my eyes. My coworker Renae ran with a pulled hamstring AND a broken toe. She had to stop completely twice and she still managed to finish at 56 minutes!!
Running is something that's available for all ages or gender. You don't need years of training to be good at it like basketball. You put on your shoes and you run. Maybe that's why it's so popular in Canada. Running with 50,000 some odd people is quite an experience. I particularly enjoyed the sensation of speed while running past one after another, weaving through the crowd.
People were surprised that I signed up for the 50 minutes wave considering that I have never ran a 5+ km run in my entire life. I think 10 years ago I ran that 2.5K milk run in high school, but that's probably about it. It was a thrilling experience. Too bad most likely I will not be here for another Sun Run. I learn more about myself and my limits when I'm pitted again challenges.

No comments:
Post a Comment