Professor Waki has replied inquiry once again. I don't think I have fully understood her in the first place, but her email did answer my question on the dreaded entrance exam.

After consulting with Jack who went through the same process when he applied from UT into Tokyo Tech, I realized that the whole confusion originated from the office's choice of words. In Japan, the local students have to write an entrance exam in order to be admitted into the graduate school. However, for foreigners into the international program, the process is replaced by online interview and correspondence. Yet, the office does not think the definition of exam is strict enough to be reworded.
Naturally whenever I hear about exam, I relate to a form of test as in "oral exam" or "written exam." To refer to the online interview as an exam could be stretching it, although still correct in terms of definition.
I feel there shall be more culture shocks to come as I get closer and closer to the Tokyo Institute of Technology.

No comments:
Post a Comment