Wednesday, May 09, 2007

One Thing Lead to Another

I find myself saying that quite often these days. One thing lead to another and I end up where I am right now. A few days ago I was hoping this Rotary meeting would be my one financial solution to my education cost. Yet, like a treasure map, I am lead to the next clue.


Today I attended the Rotary *cough* shriner *cough* club Global Warming Seminar. I feel immediately out of place as I sat down. The average age of the club must have been over 60. The person who invited me to come wasn't at the reception area when I went in so I sat there alone. 20 minutes later a blonde girl asked if it'll be okay to sit beside me. She was only a few years older than I am. Turned out, like me, she was a guest that had never been to a Rotary club meeting. She was there because she got invited by her boss to attend this meeting, all expensive paid.


I believe God has put these seemly random people along my journey to point out the way. (Or that I chose to see what I want to see) During my Japan trip, there were these scholars in my tour group who tried so hard to convince me to study in Japan rather than Taiwan. While in Japan, my friend from UBC asked me to explore the possibilities of going to graduate school there, though I scoffed at her. In the middle of my application process, I bumped into this European lady at the TOEFL test center. She had lived in Japan for the past 5 years with her husband. Her husband happened to be a recipient of the scholarship I wanted to get. At work, one of the newbies happened to have taught English in Japan for 2 years. Then there's today, the blonde girl that sat beside me had spent 2 years working for the Japan American Club in Japan. Every single one of them shared their positive experience with me and encouraged me to go forth. It's amazing that at every key stage of my journey to Japan, there has always been someone with Japanese experience to give a push on my back.


The door to my scholarship had seemingly shut today. After attending their meeting I know there is no chance for me to get any fundings from them this year. Even if I do, I will be heavily involved with the club. It's not that I don't agree with their philosophy, but I am never a social person. I will need more freedom to do my research.





Funny thing was, the original speaker, Andrea Reimer, did not not attend. She became ill and had ask another trainee Dr. Jim Stephenson to take her place and give the presentation. Dr. Stephenson had my full attention for the span of the speech. I was about to walk right out the door trying to avoid the socializing after the presentation, but I walked back to the room and spoke to Dr. Stephenson for about 2 minutes. I asked for his advice on my journey. He gave me the name of a company and asked me to contact them for possible sponsorship.


A door is closed, and another opened. Just gotta have faith and keep going.


Right now my dad has just finished watching "An Inconvenient Truth" and asked me if I want watch it. I laughed.

No comments: