Friday, May 04, 2007

Rotary Club

"An Inconvenient Truth" was the one reason that motivated me to apply for Tokyo Institute of Technology in order to study solar energy. It was on the October airplane to Tokyo that I decided that I will dedicate my life to this purpose.

Much has happened since the start of my application last October and the coming October is creeping in faster than I can anticipate. My relationship with God is still a mess. I haven't started reviewing the Physics I've learned. To top it off, there's no funding whatsoever. I can't afford a line of credit as it will plummet me straight into bankruptcy by the end of my second year and I cannot save enough money no matter how little I spend.


I felt ashamed reading my previous blog entries. It was just a mere 2 months ago! I prayed to God last night that He give me this will to go forward.


A few days ago when I was browsing my friend's photo album, I came across an event she attended. The gathering took place at a physical training center where the groups have to conquer each obstacles. She told me it was a gathering for the Rotarians as she is a recipient of the Rotarian scholarship for her phD program.



The name Rotary club stirred up my memory. I had once looked into their scholarship but somehow felt defeated and backed off. Today, I took down the number from the website called the local club during lunch time. Nobody answered. A lady picked up a phone when I dialed the second number. It was her direct number at her work. I briefly explained my situation to her and she immediately became very interested.

"Have you seen 'An Inconvenient Truth?'" She asked.


"It was one of the reasons why I am pursuing higher education in solar energy." I chuckled.


Our conversation was no longer than 2 minutes and she digging into my motives and background. She invited me to the next Rotarian meeting. They are having a guest speaker, a trainee of Al Gore to speak on Global Warming next Tuesday. I was speechless. The very same movie that started the motion is now threading the next step for me.



She later informed me through email that our district has no funding for scholarship, but the neighboring districts should. The seminar she mentioned to me happens to be a joint event with the neighboring districts. I was stunned. After I hung up I sat in my chair for minutes, struggling to organize my thoughts, pondering the next move. I walked to my team leader and asked to take some hours off on Tuesday. She told me I can take whichever day I want. She added, "You just don't take enough time off!" I was thankful.


Could this be what God has prepared for me?


No comments: