I thought we can put the car lease ordeal behind us. I was wrong, again.
We had everything arranged for us to pick up the car today. I took my time on this beautiful Sunday to play some sports. I hadn't played basketball for a long time because of my weak ankle, but today I was kicking ass. My team won 5 straight before we headed to the dealership.
We were greeted by the now polite and smiling salesperson Carlos. He went over all the features and controls of the car and then we wait patiently to see the manager to sign the lease contract. At this point we had already forgave Carlos for his ridiculous over-priced offer, but he was probably just acting as a proxy for manager Ken. All we have to do now was to sign the paper, and drive the car away.
That wasn't it. I sat silently in the corner of the office. Christina first asked Ann to initial and signed the contract. After it was signed she then introduced the never-mentioned-before $45 dollars processing fee and amount of $545 due at signing all together. It raised a question mark in my head. I indicated to her that the first month payment should’ve been free according to our deal sheet. She replied, “then it will only be $45 for the first month.” I picked up the contract so I can read it more carefully. She sharply raised her voice at me, “May I have that back please? That’s my copy. I will give you your copy if you want to read it.” I put the copy down and picked up the yellow copy. I read through the lines, but didn’t find the $45 fee. I asked her to please point out the $45 charge line to me. She replied indifferently, “I would’ve gone through it with you had you not grab the copy from me.” I found that hard to believe, she recited the charges at signing after everything was signed and showed no intention of providing explanations until confronted. I leaned over toward Ann so we can read the contract more carefully together. I noticed that the air conditioning was on full blast blowing at Ann’s face. I asked Christina, “May I turn the AC the other way? It’s pointing at Ann’s face and she has a cold.” She bluntly replied, “Why would you do that? We’re done here. You’re just about to leave to see the insurance person anyway.” Ann’s sister Tina was still squinting at the fine lines on the contract and Christina asked to put it in an envelope for her. We sat there for another 30 seconds while she organized the paperwork under the full blast AC. While we waited for the insurance agent, I asked Carlos about the $545 initial payment. Carlos brought over the owner Jarrett Morrey. I explained to him how this binding contract could be used against Ann. Jarrett spoke to Christina and again, Christina refused to make any modification to the binding contract even though it was contradictory to our terms.
After reflection, it was probably a bad idea to go in my basketball gear. Christina looked down on us and me particularly. There was a bitter after taste and I had decided to write a letter to the Morreys on how I feel about their dealership.

No comments:
Post a Comment