Sunday, October 14, 2007

People & Places



A place can only be as good as the people who live in it. I've met a handful of people since I've landed in Japan, none other than my classmates, labmates, and the department newcomers. I like some of them and I want nothing to do with the rest of them.



I've pretty much kept to myself for the most part, perhaps partly due to the fact that I can't communicate effectively with the local Japanese students. Being only able to speak English and Mandarin, I am limited to the two races, Chinese and Korean. The North American population in this school is surprising low, even though I've never expected it to be significant. Most of the international graduate students / researchers are from China. A lot of them can be quite inconsiderate compared to the Japanese standards.



During the newcomer lunch meeting, I met another phD student from Korean. Her English was good enough to have a meaningful conversation with me. Aside from her, another phD student from my lab, Kim-san happens to be quite fluent in English as well. Socializing is not a necessity for me, but it's good to have people whom you can talk to from time to time. My Japanese labmates, despite the best of our efforts, cannot express themselves to me. It'd seem like I would have to speed up my Japanese learning if I were to contribute to our team.



On the other hand, there are people where I want nothing to do with. This is very un-Christian-like, but I just can't stand them. One day this Chinese research student came knocking on my door. I stood by my door talking to him. He thanked me for giving the adviser a heads up that he wouldn't be attending the meeting (because he forgot) and he was here to "see how I am doing." I am not the baby here. He was the one that always wanted to follow me to places, and always late. He then started peaking into my door. I turned my body a little bit, then he just barged right in without looking. I didn't know how to respond to someone as rude as he is. Although I am quite sure he was unaware of it. He helped himself looking around in my room and started to tell me about his weekend. I wasn't interested, so I kept doing my chores without looking at him. After a few minutes he left. I still can't believe how anyone can just walk into someone's room without asking permission. I'll be locking my doors from now on.



I haven't decided on my research direction yet. It's a bit comforting to know that Ohgai-san, who's been in the lab since April hasn't come up with a topic yet. Although he knows way more than I am. My classes are a mess right now too. I spent hours trying to solve the first question of the first assignment, only to find out that it was all in vain because the professor didn't communicate with us on what he expects out of those exercises. I guess that's how it will be for my other classes as well. I might just end up only taking 3 courses / week, one being Japanese, and another my supervisor's course.



This week I am not all that motivated to study, after finding out the course I wanted to enroll in so much, isn't all that good. I have to work harder and know more before I can take that course again, since he expects us to know everything without his assistance.



I knew this before I came to Japan, at some point in my journey I will think "Good Lord, what have I gotten myself into?" and the time is now.

No comments: