The word "Nigger" is absolutely taboo in North America. Merely saying that word will stir up rage and sometimes get your killed. Using the N-word in school will get you expelled for hate crime and racism. If you use it at work, you can expect to lose your job because of racial discrimination.
Perhaps I wasn't being entirely correct. The above only applies to the non-black population. I have no problem in using terms like the white people, black people, yellow people. It is merely descriptive of their skin color, though this aspect of the human specie is gradually becoming ambiguous. However, I have never called anybody a nigger because I understand the negativity and the sad history behind it. Why is it that some black people use that word so frequently to regard themselves and one of their own? And why is it that non-black people cannot call black people niggers without it being insulting?
Suppose it's a way to bring about cohesion within the group, a way where people with similar experience can associate with each other. I think this is a really low self-esteem way of doing it. The group should associate themselves with something positive, instead of constantly reminding themselves of the negative things in the past. It would only generate hatred and the illusion of oppression. I think it is also very hypocritical for the black community to call themselves niggers while forbidding the non-black people to use that word. If you want no association with the word, just DON'T USE THE WORD anymore.
Let's say I substitute the N-word with another negative connotation like, asshole. Imagine how stupid it looks when a group of people calling each other assholes.
"This asshole is getting a phD!"
"Good job, asshole."
"Yeah, make us assholes proud, my asshole."
The positive alternative is brother. Let's see how it will sound.
"This brother is getting a phD!"
"Good job, brother."
"Yeah, make us brothers proud, my brother."
Nobody is a nigger anymore in North America. Words have power and can directly and indirectly influence the outcome of the future. Therefore, all people should stop belittling anybody with a despicable word like nigger, including themselves. I mean EVERYBODY, especially the black population.

No comments:
Post a Comment