Thursday, November 06, 2008

Pressure from Above

I booked an appointment with Hotta-sensei, the ex-department head, and the professor of my current roommate. From what I've heard in the past, he has been the one supporting the exile of Matsubara from our Waki lab. From what I've heard from Li, he cares for the student a great deal and I truly understood this after talking to him today.

Although he is no longer the head of the department, but based on his experience and his position in the school counseling committee n the department, he still has great influence in the decision making process. We sat down and talked for 1.5 hours when I gave him the whole analysis on the situation and what I thought might've happened in between the parties involved.

He promised a solution by next week and the incident is still very much contained within the department. Although they have received pressure from Mishima-sensei, the head of the graduate school, whom I have emailed. I told him my approach of moving up the ladder. He became aware that I contacted the vice president of education just yesterday night. Awkwardly, he received a call 1 hour into our conversation, he answered, "Yes.. Kenneth, Canadian, 2nd year, the situation is.... right now it's still contain within the department, yes, we will find a solution next week."

I felt a bit guilty.

Saito-sensei, the vice president read my email and contacted him to find out what the heck is going on with the student called Kenneth. Hotta-sensei's expression was a bit awkward because now there are 2 parties on his back pressing for a solution, although he is no longer the department head. I felt better after talking to him, he is a really listener. These professors are all smart people, I think I have made it obvous that I will not stop until there is a solution and I have hinted towards publishing the story with local and external media. I hope it'll never come to that.

Right now, we wait, until November 14.

No comments: