Monday, March 16, 2009

Day of Four

I arrived at at church at a little after 11am, and immediately started to help out with the preparation work of the New Hope 9th Anniversary celebration sunday service. It was a lot of work to be done within just a few hours, from bulletin inserting to equipment moving. By the time the preparation was done, it was time to pick up Tao, the Chinese student.

He had asked me whether he could come to church with me and I agreed. The door of the church is opened to almost anybody who are willing to seek. I gave him very clear instructions on how to get here but still he did not make it on time. I was partly to blame because my cellphone had died and couldn't reach him during the meeting time. Only a few minutes later he finally came over from the other exit. I was a bit upset because I had told him specially that there are 2 exits and which one to wait at.

That aside I think he couldn't understood too much of the sermon, but he really enjoyed the socializing after the service. I introduced him to some of the people. When I had to help out with the stage clean up, he continued to talk to other people by himself, a little eager beaver he was. I do not know why he wishes to come to church, but I will keep a watchful eye on him. In fact, cultural wise, I would rather take him to another church where he can communicate more effectively.

Also at that time, I got to know that Katsu, one of the fellowship member had decided to get baptized. I was out of words because I had just spoken to him yesterday in fellowship. Apparently he had decided just that day morning to get baptized, went through a course within 1 hour and was okayed for baptism. The fellowship members wanted to go there to show support. I struggeled for a while because my trip Kyoto was creeping close in just 2 days. Anyhoo, I stayed for an extra 2 hours helping out with the clean-up then met up with the fellowship member to travel to Shin-Okubo Tokyo Central Church to see the baptism. While in transit, Katsu told me that he talked to someone from the station and that person actually came from Tokyo Church of Unification, originally a cult from Korea. They speak of 2nd Messiah being a Korean and such. Funny thing is, I recognize that person because I had always seen him trying to invite people to do survey at the station. I just never realized he was recruiting for the cult. And to think that their influence is as far as a block away from New Hope Tokyo.



When we arrived at the Shin-Okubo station, there was an Asian lady talking to Leah. Leah said that this lady started talking to her and wanted to invite her to her church. Turned out this lady was from Yohan Waseda, another questionable Korean church that I had previously pulled my friend out of. She was aggressively recruiting for their own church too. That lady wanted to jet as soon as we came to Leah. I don't know if it was our strong presence. I felt it was very strange. Later on I talked to Leah about that cult. A few days ago I had just talked to the friend and she was still deadly afraid to even go near that area because Yohan Waseda's reach is further than just the surrounding of their church.

We arrived at the Tokyo Central Church, its where Jesus Life House, New Hope, and perhaps a few other churches hold their baptism. Had the praise and worship, short message and then the baptism and then more praise and worship. Jesus Life House has only young people and is a very charismatic church. Under comparison New Hope would be extremely traditional in teachings.

I couldn't accept their style of worship at all. A lot of secular influences, a lot of jumping and some sort of pulling/tugging moshpit (they were just being playful) or even dragging people up the stage to do freestyle singing when they don't want to. I took some pictures during the worship and was asked by one of the member not to do it. I didn't understand why, but I respect their rules.



What really shocked me was the shotgun baptism. During one of the baptisms, the host asked, "Who is Jesus to you?" The girl answered, "I don't know yet." I think the host was shocked to hear it and paused. My eyes dilated. It was really shotgun baptism when the hosted asked if anyone else would like to jump in and get baptised. I would imagine this baptismal "ceremony" and "testimony" to be an important event in a Christian's life, so important that they'd want their family to participate. Apparently, Katsu's parents had no knowledge that this was taking place, either. I am just being very skeptical about everything, a little bit insulted even that the baptisms seemed so sloppy. "They answer to God", some said. I don't feel like pushing all the responsibility to God when I knew things could've proceeded with more care and consideration for the families.

In 1 day, I have witness churches of 4 different denomination, 2 of them being cults. What a day.

No comments: