Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Finding my Place

I have had a very healthy Christian & church life since I've joined New Hope Tokyo. I have not missed a Sunday worship and never missed fellowship. Recently I've finally return to serving on the stage clean-up team. There are still many things to learn, but gradually I am getting the hang of it.

But a series of events made me pause and forced me to reconsider where I belong to in this place. As far as fellowship go, it is a inter-denomination fellowship with fellowship members coming from all kinds of different churches. Some members don't belong to a fix church, but they serve with an ministry across churches. I felt really comfortable for the first month or so until tongue-speaking started to pop up here and there. Raised in an extremely traditional church in Vancouver, tongue-speaking outside of personal interaction was frown upon and ridiculed if in a public setting.

I've tried to learn different sides of the argument, but I still dont feel comfortable, especially when I hear other people speaking in a non-coherent language with no linguistic patterns. It sounded not like a tongue (local language), but rather a repetition of weird sounds. (usually pa-ra-pa-ra-pra-sha-ba) Until last week, the praise and worship was taken to another level, the praise and worship leader was very hyped about the lyrics and the melody wasn't all that important. I was very out of it and I couldn't participate in the singing anymore. Then prayers came and tongues started. I wasn't comfortable with any of them. In fact I was a little bit intimidated.

As for my church, there are always social groups afterwards. With the increasing number of Taiwanese population in the church, there was enough to form a small group. In fact there has already been a meet up for the Taiwanese people not too long ago. This almost directly conflict with the Chinese fellowship that started not too long ago. But honestly, I don't feel very Taiwanese and I don't feel very Canadian. That is the thing with immigrants, we are always caught in between. Instead, I will continue to seek for a suitable group for me to join, with people with similar multicultural backgrounds.


By the way it actually snowed yesterday... in MARCH

No comments: