Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Blindness



When I was in grade 3, my optometrist told
me that I probably needed glasses since the eyedrops weren't
working. One day afternoon my mom took me to the eye glasses
store and got me a pair. I was so excited the next day that
I couldn't wait to tell all my classmates, as if it was
something of a novelty.


After that it was all downhill. I got these
dorky plastic glasses. But what I remembered most is.. I
became so unsure of my world without glasses. After I took
off my glasses, I don't dare looking at people because I
have no idea what I looked like without glasses. I'd cover
my face with my hands, begging for my glasses back.


It was not until grade 12, when I saved up
and got my first pair of contact lenses. In the clinic, I
stared at the mirror, carefully examining every details of
my facial features. It was like staring at someone so
familiar, yet so distant. The next week I stood in front of
the classroom, waiting to get in. My classmates saw me but
didnt' greet. Turned out they didn't realize it was me until
after I started talking. My face had matured more than I
imagined. It was no longer a blur that's too shameful to
look at. I believed I was more confident with contact
lenses, so sure of myself that I felt everybody was looking
at me when I walked about.


Then things got worse, I went into
university and was out of money. I no longer wear contact
lenses but instead wear my cheap thick old glasses day after
day. My prescription increased as I grew older as did my
astigmatism, making contact lenses a difficult alternative.


Last winter, I went to Cypress to ski (alone
of course) one of my lenses popped off when i was on the
lift. I was practically one eye blind when I ski down. My
right eye distorted my whole vision and I had to cover it up
with my toque in order to drive back. That's when I decided
that I will say goodbye to glasses forever.


As soon as I heard that I could take 3 days
off in a row I booked my appointment and got it done. After
4 weeks, my vision is still kinda blurry, not the 20/20 I
had hoped. I can only hope that it'll get better, because
it's straining at times. Anyhoo, I am still thankful that I
don't have to wear glasses anymore for another 20 years.


If I were a kid again, I'd stay away from TV
and computer games and be more active in sports. Eyesight is
really one of the best gifts God has ever given to men.

No comments: