Monday, April 02, 2007

Battlefield Church

For the past week I've been researching and preparing for the much anticipated debate on Saturday. It's been a roller coaster ride for me.


It wasn't really a controversial topic within my understanding of Christian values, so normally I wouldn't have joined. I have not been a vocal person since my elementary school years and my public speaking has deteriorated greatly. The only reason that I joined was really my impulsiveness. When asking for volunteers to join, everybody flocked to the pro-homosexuality side, but nobody wanted to join the side of justice. I got angry and shot up my arm and got myself into a week of long-forgotten research frenzy.


Throughout the research, some pro-homosexuality articles sent me into silence and discomforting depression. It was sad to see how the Christian values have been overturned and the scriptures twisted. I came into fellowship with a burden in my heart that I will not bear witness to a re-translation of the Bible. If it did happen, I will do everything in my limited power to ridicule them. Yet the battle ground is within the church grounds, if the other side were to challenge the fundamentals of the Bible, damage will be done.


Before and during the debate, I continuously prayed in my heart. I prayed that God will oversee this event and make his words heard and justice revealed. I prayed that we won't seek to elevate ourselves in the debate, but to humbly examine our footings on the scriptures as Christians. It was exactly what happened. The other side had the same understanding of the Bible and did not try in any concrete way to manipulate it.


I've gained more than I had anticipated from this debate and surprisingly felt closer to my fellow friends in church which I almost never do. The animated debate didn't separate us, but it left me with an everlasting impression of the fellowship interaction in Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful sharing.