Friday, April 06, 2007

Proud Cheaters

When I was searching for long lost highschool friends on Facebook (No, I'm not addicted) I came across this group that truly disgusted me, so I was prompted to email the principle.



Dear Dr. Van Gurp,


My name is Kenneth Chi Hua Yu. I graduated from Burnaby Secondary some 8 years ago in 1999. Forgive me for this abrupt letter but I have come across something on the Internet that I felt should be of a great concern to the school.


Facebook is a website used to connect people through networks of friends. It is similar to Friendster but offers a lot more features such as messaging capability, news feed and group affliation. Groups are often used to find long lost friends that shared similar backgrounds, such as high school and sports teams.


One of which I came across left me speechless. This is the name of the group "Cheating Ms. Du Was Too Easy." The motives of the creation of this group could've been no more than a joke, but to me it seems to mock our education system right in the face.


You can find more details from the Facebook website (www.facebook.com) / and the group page: (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2250648454 ) , most likely you'll have to register first in order to view this link. Once you've logged in, clicking the link will take you straight to the group page. If not, then click on "My Groups" and search for "Burnaby South" scroll down and you'll see this group.


I, too, was in Mrs. Du's Mandarin class. With Mandarin being my first language I excelled in the course. However the less experienced students did rely on assistance from others to get their marks up. Mrs. Du tried her best to diversify the course with activities and new approaches even for us native speakers. She was a very considerate teacher. I think the very existence of the group is an insult to her as a teacher. Further, the pride in wrongful conducts such as cheating is inexcusable.


I believe education is the best solution to change the world on a large scale. If the children are not set straight through the system, we've only created crooks with higher intelligence. Thank you for your time in reading this letter. If you have any questions, please email me.




Sincerely,




Kenneth C.H. Yu

No comments: