Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dream: I walk away.

I had a dream. Now I am writing it down so I don' forget.

I was in my junior high school classroom, sitting next to the window, about 4th from the front. There was a KDF at the blackboard at the front (experimental oven) and I was baking some samples inside it. My best friend from junior highschool in Taiwan was there doing the experiment with me. I open the oven and picked out each single pieces. It was a very good result. There was no powder, only solid formed. I was very happy because this was a breakthrough for me. I collected the samples and gave it to him, thinking about the next step for my experiment.

I came back to my desk, the teacher came into the room, it was my 3rd grade teacher. She said "Homework check! Everybody taking out your homework" I look at my worksheet. It was not completed. There were several pages, but a long time ago I had finished maybe one page at most. I genuinely didn't know about it, but I felt no need to hide it. The classmate in front of me.. and behind me scambled to copy the answers as fast as they can from each other. I sat there, turned to the blank page and waited. Whipping started to sound as the teacher quickly walk through the columns and rows hitting student on the hand for not completing the homework. When she reached me, she hit me on the hand twice. It didnt hurt. I flipped the page to another set which I didn't do. She hit me two more times. I grabbed her stick and said to her ears, "please stop hitting students. The ministry of education will know about this." Because I confronted her openly the whole class gasped.

I gather my things, zip up my rain-proof jacket.I was ready to leave this classroom. Suddenly my mom who has been sitting somewhere in the middle of the classroom at the back section said, "You ungrateful one, don't remember her sons help us move (from house to house) and they were very deligent workers!?" I said ironically, "Help you move once, and you are in debt for life?" Somehow it came out with Cantonese-accent. A student said, "Honger accent.", laughed and turned his face. The whole class laughed. I looked at him, then looked at the face of every single student. My mom asked, "Why can't you get along with this class?"

I said, "There is no place for me in this class." I said it with such calmness and with just a hint of regret. In my heart I was thinking, "Perhaps I need to transfer to another class for my last year as a senior." The whole class gasped again when I said it." The teacher said, "You will never succeed if you go on like this."

Whenever I have a dream there is one thing I will always remember and it's the feeling. I felt no remorse about what I said and I felt sad. As I open my eyes, it is already 9:15am. Too late for church, I guess I'll go to the 2nd service later.

No comments: