Thursday, October 02, 2008

Year Two Begins

It's been a week since my return to Japan. On one hand I feel reluctant to come back here because of all the troubles I've been through in the past year, but on the other I know I owe this to my friends, my family and myself to continue on my study.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did. Before I left the lab was in a stand-off. The problem student had done enough damage to the lab and the professor that seriously in my mind I didn't think she would have been able to return to the lab, but she did.

From what I've heard, on September 19th, the problem student had forgotten his English script for the presentation but did not tell anybody. Somehow I doubt that was the problem because he lives so close to the school he could've gone home and grab it. What I really thought happened was that he didn't write a script. Despite all that had happened in the lab, I offered to help him with his English script, along with all the other students who were about to present. I've spent a good 4-5 hours in Japan and while in Canada to fix everybody's script. Yet, he did not take my offer.

So I could imagine when he tried to maneuver his way with his poor English. He couldn't really communicate with me in English in the lab while all the other students could make do with what they know. Just imagine what his presentation was like. The professor got very angry with him after that and they got into another fight (again). During the altercation he threatened to sue the professor and the school for his mental illness.

Here is the funny part, the professor said she would contact his father to report his current conditions and he threatened to call the professor's father in return. I don't know what really went on after that but the professor walked into the student room one day and said that she might want to close the lab for good and disperse the students because she is too tired from dealing with all these.

That's where things stand, all sides of the stories have been heard and we are awaiting a decision from the department. It's unlikely that we will be forced to leave this school. The most sensible thing to do is to fire the student and save the rest of us, but apparently he's got some dirt on the school. Otherwise he would've been fired a long time ago.

I can't believe that right now this student acts as if nothing has happened and the professor does so in return. I am only doing the best I can, the rest is not up to me. Year two begins here and what I do in the next year will decide the fate of my life in Japan. I think I am taking this incredibly will, by the grace of God.

No comments: