It has been 30 days since I first saw her face in New Hope. I have been praying and waiting patiently for God to give me a chance to get to know her. I didn't even know her name.
The chance did not come last week and I thought I would've missed it this week too. A friend asked me to pick up her friend from JR Ochanomizu station. This person is new to church and would like to know more about immigration to Canada. Who else better than me to take him to the church? I had originally planned to go to church and see if I can "bump" into the flute girl "by accident." But comparing to my own personal desires, of course leading someone to church is more important, so I didn't think twice about it. This morning I waited outside the station for him until a few minutes before the service started. While waiting I had hoped that the flute girl would've gone out of the gate and "bump" into me since that is her exit station as well. That didn't happen.
We got in there 5 minutes after the service had started and was only able to get into the back rows. I picked the left side because that was where she had been sitting for the last few times. Maybe by chance she would've been seated right beside me! That didn't happen. It wasn't until a few minutes into the praise and worship that I realize there's the sound of flute. I shifted my body to peak through the congregation. Then I saw her on the stage, exactly just like a month ago. Only that I couldn't really see her face because I was so far back into the crowd. I didn't really want to be distracted from my time with God so I stopped trying to wobble around for a glimpse.
I was really committed to stay with Johnny, the person who wanted to know about Canada and had planned to have tea with him right after the service. Before this I had dreamed about asking the flute girl to tea, although I have no idea how to order tea and stuff. For God's sake I was committed to Johnny, and for him only today. Who knew that before the service was about to end, he began to look at his watch. He said that he has to get to Kawasaki before 4:30pm and would have to jet right away when the service ended.
After sending him off, I began to stroll around to talk to friends and engaged into a conversation with a delightful lady named Michi. There she was, the flute girl standing right next to me. Exactly like last week. She was talking to her friends, and I to Michi. I had been waiting for this friend Rio to show me where everybody's drinking tea, but Rio was still inside the sanctuary so I just kept talking to the friends that I came across, but never ever had a chance where she'd look at me so I could slip in and say, "Hey.. you play the flute!"
I asked that God make her look at me so we can have eye contact first before I cans peak to her. But it was more of me staring at her most of the time. Until then.. she looked past a friend I was speaking to and looked at me in the eyes for an instance. She was about to go. As soon as I sensed it (yes, 6th sense), I moved to the elevator and press the elevator button. I said good bye to Michi and turn to wait for the elevator. Michi stopped me and wanted to leave me her contact information so I can join a ministry called "Xtreme" next Saturday. I tried to wiggle out of it by asking if I can get her info from a friend, but she insisted I stayed so she can write it down properly for me. Orz.. When I turned around, the elevator had already hit ground floor and the flute girl and her friends gone.
I supposed I could send her off with my eyes from a distance afar just like last week. When I reached the ground floor on the next elevator and exited the automatic door. I saw a petite figure walking slowly towards the station, step by step. It was her. I recognize her hair color and her white jacket. I didn't hesitate. I believed this is the chance God gave me. I tapped her on the shoulder. She turned and was a bit surprised to see me. I said to her, "You play the flute." (the line I have practiced so many times in my mind) and made a hand gesture of a flute. She answered shyly, "Yes.." I said, "and also 30 days ago.." She didn't quite catch it, " one month ago...you also played" She said, "ooh.... yes.."
It's a very short walk to the station and we were approaching the traffic signal . She asked, "Are you new to new hope?" I said, "uh.. I've been here regularly for the past 5 weeks" She asked, "Are you a christian?" I said, 'Yes, I have been since I was a little child. I was born into a christian family." I asked, 'How about you? Did you become a Christian in Japan?" She didnt' hear me over the rushing people, I rephrased "Where did you become Christian?" She said, "Japan~ I have been a Christian since I was a baby." A christian family in Japan.. I said, "That's very rare in Japan." "Yes.." and a shy nod. We were just about finished crossing the crosswalk. "Oh by the way, I am Kenneth." She repeated, "Kenneth.. Kenneth" It's not a common name these days. I reached out my hand and shook hers, she said "I am Yuri (?)
We reached JR Ochanomizu station, the same place I was waiting in the morning. My pace slowed. I uttered, "I need to go to Metro" She face showed a bit of disappointment. (Just my reading) I said, "but I will see you next week." I smiled and waved her goodbye. I didn't send her off at the station, but instead I went my way. I couldn't wipe that smile off my face until much later.
I think.. her name is Yuri?
I don't know what they other people may intrepret this incident, but thank you God. You answered my prayer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment