Since the failed experiment on Tuesday, I've planned my schedule today to accommodate to help the student from Yamashita-ken. Today I was supposed to make 6 cells, 6 sputter counter electrodes and evaluate 2 cells just in preparation to be ready for him tomorrow morning and Friday. I was not supposed to present today morning because I have not worked on my own experiments for the past weeks if not months. I gave my reasoning to the joint seminar professor very clearly, but instead he chose to cover this up his way and notified everybody that he was busy so my presentation would be postponed.
So instead, I had to attend the seminar and sit through 1.5 hours of Japanese presentations which I don't fully understand. Right after the presentation I was supposed to be joined by Waki-sensei so she could make sure that I use the sputter machine correctly. While waiting for her I realized that the KDF oven I used the previous day isn't working so well. I did a few tests and my face just grew pale. Our KDF oven was broken! and more importantly, by me! Students are relying on this experiment for their graduation thesis. At the same time, our new refridgerator came in so I was scambling to fix it. Ohgai-san and Yazu-san were scrambling to test the equipment. One hour later, our business agent came to take away for the oven because the manufacturer deteremined that it would take probably 1 month to fix. I was completely crushed. The experiment with sputter didn't go well either, Waki-sensei didn't know what to do with the equipment initially, and we had to end it prematurely because of some mallfunctioning. Right between the testing I had to join some discussion that Waki-sensei proposed. These discussions are really meant for individuals alone, not as a seminar. We sat there with a blank face while the professor discusses the problems with the studdent. It was a waste of my time.
By the time I got back to my desk, it was already 7pm. I hadn't had my lunch yet. I comically offered my dinner boxto Ohgai-san since I no longer needed it. He had a good laugh because he hadn't even eaten breakfast at that point. I sent out an email apologizing for the KDF and had to send one more email to the student from Yamashita-ken that we no longer can help them because we are inadequate.
Worst day.. ever. Not only did I fail to help a person when I tried my best, I hurt my labmate's research as well. At least, I can finally get back to my research and not spend anymore time on things that don't really relate to me.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment