This is a phenomenon occurring in every church. A lot of people come to church for acceptance, people who have been exiled from the society. In the house of God, all is welcome? What about protecting our brothers and sisters from being hurt?
I spent a great deal of time talking to the lonely ones in church. They often stand amidst the crowds by themselves. Everybody notices them and yet everybody ignores them. Sometimes these socially incapable people take a hint and disappear without a trace. In that case, how can we call ourselves Christians? How can we claim to have received the love of God if we cannot tolerate them.
When I first arrived in New Hope 2 months ago. I was approached by Kazunari, a middle-aged person dressing rather fashionably with the sports jacket and printed t-shirts. That very same day, he pointed his camera at me and took a picture of me. Then he asked if someone can take a picture of him and me together. I thought it was a tradition. A few weeks later I realize he was slightly off. He'd often look back into the congregation when he sits at the front row and stare into the void. Often times he would stand there and murmur to himself. Last week and this week I spent some time to talk to him. He used to go to Meiji University, just a few blocks away from New Hope, but that was back in 1992. He's been coming to New Hope from Saitama, 40 minutes away. He's 40 years old, working for a company. He's been travelling to a lot of places in Asia and had stories to speak for. Aside from him, I've spoken to a few other ones who are just looking for companionship for the short time they are in church.
I didn't speak to Yurie today. Although I thought the least I could've said to her was "Good job" for sound of flute that resonated throughout the praise and worship so beautifully. But I didn't. I was talking to those lonely ones standing by themselves, Taiwanese, Japanese, Americans. I was once like that but I found friends in New Hope so fast so many.
Then Kazunari took up his camera, hand gestured Yurie to stand into the frame. She was a bit surprised but complied to be polite. I saw the whole scene with amazement. I read her every facial expression. I felt angry. I felt angry that Kazunari was making Yurie uncomfortable. How would a girl feel if her picture was taken by a strange 40 years old man? I don't believe Yurie is weak, but I will talk to her (yay?) about this issue and consult with the Pastor.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment