Monday, February 02, 2009

30 days

I was just right on time for the Sunday worship. I ran across the intersection to catch the crosswalk signal. I didn't have much time so I 1/2 jogged towards the church. Suddenly a lady jogged out of the convenience store carrying a small bag of drinks. She was also running towards new hope so I thought, "Hehe, another girigiri (right on time)"

She was a bit ahead of me so she got to the elevator, waiting. As soon as I saw her stop I knew I could catch that elevator no problem so I slowed down too, slowly walking towards the elevator. That's when she turned around. It was Yurie. Surprise was written all over our faces when our eyes met. I think her mouth was even open.

"Bikkuri shita! (I was surprised!)", She said to me in the elevator.
'Me, too, long time no see", I smiled.
"You must have finished your tests.", I said
She gave a nod.
"Next week, it's my turn to have tests and presentations.", my face was looking a bit glum.
The elevator door opened. I jumped at another person at the door that I haven't seen for a long time.
Yurie said to me, "Sorry I have to go.", pointing to the sanctuary.
I beamed another smile, "see you later!"

Yurie was on the praise and worship team that morning. I went in by myself because none of the people I knew were on time. I sat alone near the front rows. A lady came towards my row and wanted to sit by the end. I have seen her before a few times in church but never had the chance to talk to her. I looked at her and signaled for her to sit down beside me. "Dozo", I said. We introduced ourselves to each other and talked for a little while. Miki is a big lady, and seemed very reserved. From what I remember, very few people regularly talk to her. Eventhough we couldn't speak each other's language so well, we could understand. So I spoke in English and she spoke in Japanese. We talked about what we like about New Hope. The Sunday service was a bit late a usual so we had a good length of time to talk to her. After that, the people I knew happen to sit in front and beside me.

To be honest, I took peeks here and there at Yurie. She was pretty as usual and she looked healthy. I couldn't concentrate so well about the sermon because the translator was waaay to funny. After the service I headed out of the sanctuary. I had wanted to talk to my accountability partner Rio and also another friend from SFU, Bruce. Also I wanted to buy this calendar that Tomi drew. After I bought the calendar, Yurie was standing there. I grinned evilly as I showed her the calendar.

"I have that, too!", she said to me.
This might've been the first time where we have a regular conversation in church. I was dying to know how she has been and how her health is. We haven't seen each other for a month with minimal contact too. Then suddenly, Marina jumped in. She looked up to me like a little girl.

"Hey..", Marina said.

I was a little upset and a little confused on what I should do. I turned to look at Yurie and she was already grabbed into another conversation by Humphery and Rio. Humphery was dying to tell her about his Sweden trip. So we were swept into different conversations, until the girls finally came to the rescue and swept Marina away from me. The next thing I knew, Yurie was saying good bye to people. She was leaving early. As she was getting on the elevator, I tapped on her shoulder and waved goodbye. She happily waved goodbye to me too.

Then I headed into the sanctuary to look for people I needed to talk to. When I came out, she was finally in the elevator, door closing. I waved goodbye to hear again jokingly and she did the same as the door finally closed. I missed her.

Later on, the Taiwanese girls group suggested to eat again. I went with them because I wanted to talk with Bruce and get to know him a bit better. Marina followed.. for the second time. I was very obvious that she came with us for ME. I didn't know it was such a good idea anymore. In fact I feel bad for her. At the dinner, me and Bruce sat together , just the two of us and the 4 girls sat together. There was almost no chance for Marina to even start a conversation with me and I talked to Bruce the entire 1 hour and 30 minutes.

On the way back Marina was acting more daring. She was wobbling around on the densha, not holding on to anything. Intuitively I wanted to reach out to her so she dosen't fall on her face, but I refrained. Then she tried to grab my arms. Good thing the densha didn't shake too much. Another sister in Christ was riding the densha with us. I showed her a few messages on my phone from her friends that she asked me to contact. Marina put her face closer to my phone. I was a bit alerted by the distance so I just move the phone away into plain view for all to see. Later on when the sister commented that Marina's nails were pretty, I made a joke about how she can't really type on the keyboard with those kind of nails. She jokingly punched me and I blocked them all with the back of my fist. Marina and I had to get off the station and get on seperate lines. The sister said to me in Mandarin, "Don't let her eat your alive."

Later on she texted me just like the last time we went out to eat together with friends. I was beginning to think that she still does not understand what I meant by I had nothing to offer and I am not at that stage of my life.

No comments: